Tuesday, February 4, 2014

A Woman Named Damaris // Book Review


A Woman Named Damaris
Janette Oke

      She was almost fifteen on the night she dared for the first time to think of what life might be like away from home. Pa had come home drunk and mean again; the trauma of the subsequent scene had been repeated as long as Damaris could remember. The idea that she no longer nees to tolerate this, that maybe she's old enough to manage on her own, is planted in her mind and begins to grow. She must plan her escape carefully, but she must get away from him.             When the opportunity comes, Damaris carries with her the strength of her mothers love. Two treasures hidden for years from her father-her grandmother's lacy golden brooch and her grandfather's lovely watch are Damaris' only legacy from her past. That and her name. Her mother said it came from the Bible and had a special meaning that she can't remember anymore. What difference might it make?

        I started reading Mrs. Oke's books two years ago, when given the Love Comes Softly series from friends. I grew to love those stories and slowly began reading through the rest of her works. A Woman Named Damaris can't be claimed as one of her very best works. The problems didn't lie in a faulty story-line, or unbelievable characters, events, or run-on sentences. I felt like I didn't get to spend much time getting to know Damaris. I know that sounds extremely silly. but it seemed like there was so much time spent on the story and moving on to the next thing, that I didn't get a chance to really get to know this young lady very well; and it is rather important to get to know the main character. :) Time passed almost magically, weeks, months, even years passed in a sentence or two, and left you confused as to how old Damaris was now! 
          One particularly aggravating fault with most of Mrs. Oke's writings, and one which my mother points out ever time she reads something by her, is that she moves along with the story line way to fast. She doesn't dwell on details long enough. Of course, I wouldn't expect her to be another Scott, or Dickens, who were both a little overwhelming with their detailing's, but I think it would make a better book, if she spent a little more time explaining things before rushing off to the next scene.

         The ending was highly expected, but it was extremely abrupt, and left you sitting there thinking, "wait, he didn't even have to woo her at all..." And then suddenly "they" are together and all is ending happily... It just wasn't enough of an ending.
          All in all, however, I find Mrs. Oke's books interesting and lovely "in between" books for a breather between Classics. :) I can't honestly say that I would recommend this book particularly, but would suggest you look into Janette Oke's works, especially the Love Comes Softly series. 

* * * * * {five of ten}

7 comments:

  1. I love the Love Comes Softly series!
    The ending was very much this way in The Calling of Emily Evans too unfortunately. I felt like I got to know Emily but I didn't know the man she married and neither did she for that matter. You wouldn't catch me marrying someone I had only met briefly on a few occasions! Any way it wasn't one of her best books by far but a good filler in between books. :) Good post Becca Anne!

    HP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree, for most situations it would be super weird to marry someone you don't even know very well. Have you read A Bride for Donnigan? (it's by her.) The main character was a mail-order bride, so she didn't know him at ALL, but I felt that Mrs. Oke did a pretty good job with that one. I really enjoyed it. I have The Calling of Emily Evans on my reading list, and will probably order it with my next batch of books from the library. (after I finish the stack of eight I have sitting awaiting me. :) I'm looking forward to it!

      Delete
  2. Oooooh A Bride For Donnigan sounds really good. I must confess that I have a weakness for mail-order bride books. :) Looks like we like a lot of the same books. Such fun! Enjoy your books. :)

    HP

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read any of Janette Oke's stuff, but I do have all--or most--her books on my reading list :) I've heard that some people really enjoy them and others don't. I guess I'll have to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed that I like some of her stuff, and really dislike some of it... i guess it just depends on how interesting the actual storyline is, because her writing style is the same in every book. :)

      Delete
  4. I have all of her books. I enjoyed all of them, but some much more than others. The first series I read by her was the Canadian West series. I think my least favorite book by her was a tie between "Too long a Stranger" and "The Bluebird and the Sparrow" I loved her three popular series: Love Comes Softly, Canadian West, and the one with Josh as the main character. (not sure of the name for that series)

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this book, I want a 'Damaris'!

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every comment. :)