Friday, January 24, 2014

Rilla of Ingleside // Book Review

 Anne's children are almost grown up, except for pretty, high-spirited Rilla. No one can resist her bright hazel eyes and dazzling smile. Rilla, almost fifteen, can't think any further ahead than going to her very first dance at the Four Winds lighthouse and getting her first kiss from handsome Kenneth Ford  But undreamed-of challenges await the irrepressible Rilla when the world of Ingleside is endangered by a far-of war. Her brothers go off to fight, and Rill brings home an orphaned newborn in a soup tureen. She is swept into a drama that tests her courage and changes her forever.

I was rather sad to be beginning this book. You see, it is {almost} the last book in the Anne Shirley series, and my adventure of meeting Anne and her friends and family face to face for the first time ever is over, and I love Anne so much. I have consoled myself, though, with the knowledge that I am able to visit with Anne any time I like when I open the books or watch the movies.
          Rilla of Ingleside is primarily about Rilla, (surprise, surprise!! :), Anne's youngest, and perhaps most spirited, daughter. She is fun, different, and interesting, and her story was compelling. I actually cried during several chapters, (and as you all probably know by now, that's almost a novelty! Except during this book. I cry all the way through that one. I are you to try to read it without crying! I read it last night. {most of it, it's not terribly long,} and bawled like a baby! :) 
          The characters were well developed, and I felt like I really really got to know them. There were parts that I could see long in advance, and then there were some interesting plot-twists. I loved the way she fell in love with tiny Jims, and how he managed to change her mind about babies. Walter was one of my very favorite characters. He is so thoughtful and gentle, so much like Anne in a way, but also so much like Gilbert. He was one special boy. Anne was perfectly lovely, as usual, and sweet and wonderful. 
          I have to say, Susan is one of my very favoritest characters in the whole series. {besides all obvious ones, of course.}. She is so ridiculous and headstrong, stubborn, and know-it-all, yet prim and proper and lovable. I almost wish I could hire a housekeeper/cook just like her, just for the amusement! I would want to cook and do things differently, though, so our relationship wouldn't last very long. :)


          Perhaps this is rather more of a ramble, than a review, but there are my thoughts on Rilla of Ingleside. :)


* * * * * * * * * {nine of ten} (One more than Rainbow Valley because it made me cry, and that deserves noteworthy attention. :)

1 comment:

I read and appreciate every comment. :)