Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Agnes Gray // Book Review


Agnes Grey
Anne Bronte

I finished this book within two hours. I was hoping I would like it, but was prepared to dislike it as well, (after my encounter with Wuthering Heights, which I had extremely mixed feelings about.)

Charlotte Bronte is one of my all time favorite authors. Emily, not so much... But Anne Bronte may just join Charlotte up there somewhere near the top. (depending on her performance in The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, of course. :)

Surprisingly, (especially considering the fact that I enjoyed it immensely,) the story has nothing remarkable in it. Everything is normal; it's just everyday life for the governess. Agnes was a sweet, gentle, patient girl, but not a heroin, or someone who matures dramatically during the course of the story..

I didn't feel that it was possible to get very close to Agnes, as one can with Jane Eyre, but I did find myself getting very excited about a certain man. :) I guess that's what surprised me the most about this novel; it simplicity and normalcy. Maybe that's what draws people to it... 

But anyhow, I did enjoy this book, and would suggest it for those in search of a very simple, down-to-earth story about a sweet, (but rather normal,) Agnes.

* * * {three of five stars.}

2 comments:

  1. I didn't get very far in Agnes Gray before I put it up. :( Jane Eyre, however, I enjoyed immensely!

    HP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello I am so grateful I found your weblog, I really found you by accident, while I was browsing on Yahoo for something else,
    Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say kudos for a remarkable
    post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love
    the theme/design), I don't have time to read through it all at the minute but
    I have book-marked it and also added your RSS
    feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read
    much more, Please do keep up the great job.

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every comment. :)