Wednesday, August 15, 2012

old books and tea // my little slice of heaven on earth


     There is absolutely no doubt about it…I am a complete, and unashamed, bookworm. Most days I want nothing more than to curl up with a good book, whether a new one I’ve never read before, or an old favorite.

     I am so happy curled up on my bed, a cup of tea or coffee in my hand, reading an old book, with the cover worn and falling apart, and the pages gently yellowed.  

     Old books have the most delightful smell. I’m trying to think of a word to describe it, but can’t find one that is just right… musty just isn’t the word…I looked it up and it’s synonyms include moldy, stale, stuffy.  Imagine a smell that sweet, breathtaking, [In a good way!], overwhelming, unforgettable, and ageless. Darn. I still can’t describe it, so I won’t even try to describe how amazing it is to open a book that is over a hundred years old, and read the words on slightly yellowing paper… That would take me a very long time, and a lot of words.



     I especially love the classics. David Copperfield, Ivanhoe, A Christmas Carol, Anne of Green Gables… But my very two favorites in the whole entire world, hands down, are “Little Women,” and “Christy.” They tell the stories of completely different women, in completely different situations, but they don’t seem so completely different to me! Jo is rather tomboyish, and Christy all girl, but they’re both independent, headstrong, and rather impulsive. Not to mention that they both have a little trouble with the men in their lives. :)

     I’ve always been able to find a friend in the books I read, and some of my very best friends are, Elsie Dinsmore {The Elsie Dinsmore Series, by Martha Finley}, Jo March {Little Women, Little Men, and Jo’s Boy’s, by Louisa May Alcott.}, Christy Huddleston {Christy, by Catherine Marshall.}, Marty Davis {The Love Comes Softly Series, by Janet Oke.}, Dr. Neil McNeil {Christy, by Catherine Marshall.}, David Copperfield {David Copperfield, by Charles Dickens,} Missy [Melissa] Lahaye {The Love Comes Softly Series, by Janett Oke.}, Anne Shirly {Anne Of Green Gables Series, L.M. Montgumphrey.}, Jonathan and Martitia Howland Gardner, {They Love to Laugh, by Katharine Worth.}, David Langston {The Harvester, by Gene Stratton Porter}, Gilbert Blithe {Anne of Green Gables Series, L.M. Montgumphrey.}, Laura Ingels Wilder {Little House series}, Fairlight Spencer and Alice Henderson {Christy, Catherine Marshall.} plus many others that would take way too long to mention.


     These are the characters I’ve grown to know and love, and often wish with all my hearth that they were real people, and that I could meet them. I am comforted in the fact that I can visit them anytime I like, even though they aren’t real. :)

    Books are my passion! Recently I was with some friends, and the question was asked, “What are five things you can’t live without.” And besides the obvious, food, water, and chocolate, most of us answered “books.” They’re important. Obviously not just the fiction ones, and just because I mentioned mostly people who didn’t exist in my list up there ^, I don’t want you to think  that I only read fiction. I do read non-fiction occasionally, and enjoy reading about the lives of real people. Books are so educational, inspiring, wonderful, influential, and downright fun!



 Who are some of your best friends, in the book world? And what are your two top favorite [besides the bible] books in the entire universe?





Go read a book, and have a cup of iced tea!

xo,

Becca Anne

p.s. while you're reading, you might as well put on some music too. :)



2 comments:

  1. This could take a while! haha :P

    I have TONS of top favorite books, honestly! And they change from time to time! :)

    But I did like reading your post about books :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading IS important! And God must have thought so too--He wrote a book for us to read! I have to say that a few of the best books I've ever read have been "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte, "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens, and "The Lord of the Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkien. I love "The Chronicles of Narnia" too. Too many to choose from!!!!!!!! It would take FOREVER to list them all. . . .

    --

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every comment. :)